These digital screenings are offered at The Mammography Center on Timberlake Road, Tate Springs Mammography Center, and the Mobile Mammography Van.
Click here to schedule a mammogram online, or call 434.200.4048.
Advantages of Digital Mammography
Compared to the older analog (film) methods, digital mammograms offer advantages for detecting breast cancer, especially in women younger than 50, women who are perimenopausal, or have dense breast tissue. Digital images are sent to a computer instead of film and are easily stored and retrieved. The technologist has the ability to review images immediately to determine quality so patients spend less time in the exam room. The radiologist can magnify the images and change contrast or brightness providing more information for diagnosis. With digital there is also better visibility at the skin line. Computer aided technology (CAD ) is built right in. CAD flags abnormalities and is, in essence, a second set of eyes to the radiologist.
Breast Imaging Center
Centra's Breast Imaging Center, also fully digital, is located in the English building at Centra Virginia Baptist Hospital. The Breast Imaging Center (BIC) specializes in diagnostic testing.
How is a Diagnostic Mammogram different from Screening?
Diagnostic mammograms are specialized mammograms designed to solve a particular problem. They usually involve more x-rays taken from different angles to carefully study the breast. Reasons to have a diagnostic mammogram include:
- Question arising from a screening mammogram
- Personal history of breast cancer
- A lump or thickening in the breast or armpit
- Nipple discharge or nipple inversion
- Focal breast pain that does not go away
- Skin dimpling or puckering
- Scaly, red, or swollen skin on the breast
- Change in the size or shape of the breast
- Follow up exams
Additional testing available include:
- Breast Ultrasound – useful in determining cysts from solid masses and characterizing masses and lumps
- Breast biopsy
- Stereotactic-guided breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy
- Needle localization
- Breast MRI ( at Lynchburg General Hospital )